How do you determine the appropriate time to decorate for the holidays?
Every year, decorations get put up earlier and earlier whether at a department store or a neighbor’s house. However, Christmas decorations can overstay their welcome.
How can you ensure that you decorate at the appropriate time while also saving your relationships with the neighbors? Here’s an overview of how to determine the appropriate time for holiday decorating from Apartment Therapy:
- Holiday lights are OK to go up the day after Thanksgiving. You can take them down anytime after New Year's Day, but before January 6th—that's Three Kings Day and the last of the 12 days of Christmas.
- Be aware of your neighbors' floor plan. Does their bedroom window back up to the side of your house? If so, it might be in good taste to not put lights up there. If you're not sure, don't hesitate to ask your neighbors about the lights disturbing them. You'll both be glad to avoid a "Deck the Halls" moment.
- It's OK to keep the lights on all night, as long as you're not disturbing any neighbors. But to save power, consider putting your lights on a timer.
- Blow-up decorations are always fun for kids, but be careful where you place them in your yard. Take care not to block anyone's visibility of the road or their driveway.
- If your neighbors are the ones guilty of decorating too early, approach with caution. You don't want to Grinch on their Christmas display, but if their lights are keeping you from sleep, it's OK to say something. Be polite and offer a compromise, such as a turn-off time for the lights.
If you want to ensure a Grinchless Christmas, we advise you to follow our advice on how to determine the appropriate time to decorate your home for the holidays outlined above. There’s nothing worse than dealing with a scrooge during the most wonderful time of the year. Don’t let that be you!
We hang Christmas lights in Ann Arbor and the surrounding areas of Plymouth, Canton, Brighton, Novi, Dexter, Chelsea, and Saline. We’ll work with you on a design; you won’t have to worry about installation, and we’ll take down your decorations and provide storage until you’re ready to put them up next year. Let us hang your Christmas lights in Ann Arbor or the surrounding areas today. Call (734) 417-2212 for a complete design consultation!